My Internet service provider often fails to provide Internet service. /Isp
Someone at my Internet service provider trips over an important cable. Later on, they plug it back in. /Oops1
My dialup connection chokes on a big download. /Hlagh
A remote host asked PacBell to gracefully transfer their service to a new location, but the result was random net.lossage. /Blip
Someone at my ISP trips over two important cables this time. /Oops2
Another customer of my ISP gets flooded off internet relay chat, and the entire ISP is taken down with them. /OwOwOw
Symbols in the pictures:
- Numbers show how many seconds a ping reply took to arrive.
- Dashes show ping requests that never received responses.
- Bright lines are links that are up; dim ones are down.
Hosts in the pictures:
- "local" machines are on a local ethernet.
- "netrus" machines are part of my ISP's network (just beyond a 28.8Kbps modem).
- "peer" machines are just outside my ISP's gateway.
- The remaining sites are scattered around the United States.